Many people favor synthetic grass as it is more convenient with modern and busy lifestyles.
However, there are some pros and cons of having synthetic grass.
Pros of Synthetic Grass
It is a very smart and suitable solution for your lawn and has several benefits that make it more convenient for the owner.
- Synthetic grass looks aesthetically pleasing in all types of weather. This is because the weather does not impact the appearance of the turf. It will prolong to stay green, neat, tidy, and look good all year round.
- For owners, it is much more convenient because it does not require much maintenance. Synthetic turf does not need to be watered, fertilized, or mowed like the actual grass.
- Less time spent taking care of your lawn means more time spent enjoying your garden.
- A synthetic lawn does not require the use of a lawnmower like real grass to cut it. Lawnmowers are not good for the atmosphere and potentially dangerous. This reduces air pollution caused by it, making your lawn enhanced for the environment.
- The easy preservation of synthetic grass will help older & disabled users who might find it difficult to mow and maintain their lawn. Synthetic grass is perfect to use in care home & retirement facilities.
- People who live away from home, own a holiday residence or work away a lot can benefit from synthetic grass as it will not grow.
- Synthetic grass does not require to be watered like real grass. This is better for the environment because it reduces water usage. By cutting your pipe and sprinkler usage, you can both save water and save on your water bills.
- Synthetic turf is pet-friendly. It can’t be dug up and spoiled by pets unlike real grass. It stays hygienic and unaffected by urine. Moreover, it is easy to clean. This makes the turf perfect for use in places such as kennels.
- Animal waste is easily cleaned using a light detergent & water or one of the pet friendly products.
- Synthetic turf can be cheaper to maintain over time. This is because natural grass becomes costly when adding the price of fertilizers, pesticides, rakes, weed killers, and water required to maintain it. This makes it more cost-effective than real grass.
Cons of Artificial Grass
- The production of synthetic grass can be terrible for the environment and cause pollution or waste. This will depend on the production methods a business uses. Production facilities use modern, energy-efficient machinery. Grass is tufted on cobble tufting machines using yarn produced from world-leading yarn producers.
- It can be expensive to fit if the quality of the turf is of a good standard. Whilst synthetic turf can be expensive initially, it will pay for itself over the long term. It often works out even cheaper than real turf as it does not have the high maintenance cost.
- Some keen gardeners love to look after and maintain their gardens. So, they might see synthetic grass as cheating.
- It takes longer to install compared to real grass due to the process of fitting it.
- It does not have the fresh-cut smell that real grass has.
- Another disadvantage is that it will not last for the same time as natural grass will. Synthetic grass is expected to have a duration of 7-15 years. Still, this is not a long time and will provide the customer with many years of easy maintenance. Some people prefer natural grass because it lasts longer but requires regular maintenance.
- Synthetic grass can get hot in intense heat, however, it should not cause any burns. Applying sand infill will help out to keep the turf cool. Spraying the grass with cool water, wearing appropriate footwear, and laying a white blanket can help keep you cool in warmer temperatures.
- Synthetic turf may reduce the biodiversity of your garden. It is made of plastic and is not an accepted material that wildlife can reside in. However, by planting flowers, shrubs, and plants around your lawn, you can combat the lack of biodiversity and encourage wildlife.